The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Non-Holiday Seasons

I'm pretty sure that all of the political commercials that inundated our airwaves mere weeks ago have now been replaced by Christmas commericals. Here's a newflash: it is not Christmastime yet! Christmas season does not start until the day after Thanksgiving. Have they stopped issuing that memo?

When is it that we (and by "we" I mean whoever the advertising execs have decided is their target audience) stopped having any time in between holidays? I mean, the Halloween candy corn was off the shelves no more than 10 minutes before it had been replaced with candy canes and anything else that could be dyed red and green. And before that, it seemed to go straight from July 4 (which gave us everything red, white, and blue including the American flag cake) to jack-o-lanterns and witches. I feel pretty confident that I could function quite nicely outside of a prescribed holiday season and would love to be given the chance to demonstrate how capable I am in this regard.

I don't mean to be a scrooge, but I just wish that the Christmas season (and especially the associated holiday muzak) did not keep being pushed earlier and earlier. At this rate we're going to be singing Jingle Bells in August soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger jackie said...

i could NOT agree more!!! i have been subjected to two separate christmas movies in this week alone, and all that red and green nearly nauseated me when i went to the drug store to get a prescription filled yesterday. and have you seen the mall??! there are already christmas trees!!! yeah. it's too early. i can't skip-holiday shop the way the marketing people want me to.

11:18 AM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

i think i should knit jackie a cashmere red & green scarf! and you can tell her i said so :)

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->