The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Friday, October 27, 2006

Things I Have Learned

I like to learn things. Since Sunday, I have been amassing a list of the new(-ish) knowledge I have gained. It's terribly exciting.

(2) When making a huge batch soup with pasta, do not put ALL of the pasta in on the first cooking. It will simply suck up all of the soup broth in the refrigerator overnight. The broth is the essence of what makes soup soup, so without the broth you really just have pasta-y stew. (I have actually learned this about a dozen separate times. I just keep forgetting).

(3) Desperate Housewives is on at 8, not 7. So don't sit down with a bowl of lukewarm noodle-ful soup-stew at 7:15 hoping to catch the remaining 45 minutes of DH. You'll find Ty Pennington instead and only be disappointed.

(4) Everything involving thesis writing takes about 10 times longer than you think it will. Just go ahead and plan for that.

(5) My microwave has roughly the power output of a Glade® candle.

(6) I need background noise when I'm working. Having listened to every CD I own in the last week at least twice, I'm moved on to leaving the TV on. Cable networks play CSI and all its variants a lot.

(7) Also related to #6, some network (maybe one of the Turners?) plays about 3 episodes of X-Files in a row in the middle of the night. The first few seasons of that were really quite good. But it's a scary show to watch in the middle of the night.

(8) I heart Pandora. You should heart Pandora, too.

(9) Four alarm clocks does not an on-time wake up make.

6 Comments:

Blogger Staci said...

Maybe I missed something... what's (1)? :)

And amen to that part about everything thesis related taking 10 times as long.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

I would be bummed about Ty Pennington too. That show bugs me. Why are there so many CSI's anyway?

4:53 PM  
Blogger jackie said...

sounds like things are proceeding about on schedule. i heart pandora, too.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Um, yeah. I'm not so good at the counting. Perhaps (1) should be "It's the most basic of skills that leave you first in times of stress."

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Wow, 4 alarm clocks! I thought my 3 alarms were bad. What has worked for me in the past but was so annoying that I stopped doing it was to put the an alarm clock in the bathroom or someplace where I would have to walk across the room. Of course, you can still do that and easily run back to the warm and cozy bed. That's why it annoyed me, I got cold doing it.

12:04 PM  
Blogger ButterPeanut said...

I wholeheartedly agree with number 4.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->