The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Friday, July 21, 2006

More from the Beach

I've never been at the beach during a full on hurricane. I get the heck out of dogde before it gets there. But, I've been there in the days leading up to a hurricane. That is a lot of fun, I have to tell you, especially if you enjoy being beaten senseless by the water. Which I do. :) This year we had a little excitement as we got to see a wimpy little tropical storm blow by.

It turned out that most of the rain from the storm fell well inland; all we got was a little drizzle and some wind. By "some wind", I mean a brisk breeze (circa 50 mph) that could make you lose your balance and nearly blow over if you're not careful. A brisk breeze that fully exfoliates the bottom half of your legs if you're standing on the sand. Seriously, it was a mighty wind for us land-locked folk and yet, not even close to being a hurricane at that point.

A few of us walked out on the end of the island that afternoon to take a look at the view. I took this picture while we were out there and I swear, if it were not for the clouds (and the fact that I know where I took it), I might have thought it was the Sahara.


You can see the sand just flying by in this picture. It looked pretty cool. The other entertaining thing the wind did was to tear off the tops of the waves out on the water. Just as a wave would get ready to break, the very top would get blown backward, creating this almost eerie mist of water over all the waves. This isn't a great picture of it, but you might be able to see what I mean:


My favorite annual event at the beach is our evening sail. We've managed to go each of the four years that we've been at this particular beach and I hope we continue to do so. The catamaran leaves from a local port and sails out toward a nearby lighthouse during sunset. It's a beautiful sail, and I just love to be out on the water like that.


This year we saw a pod of dolphins (or porpoises, I can never tell the difference) which was totally awesome! Sadly, my camera battery had died so I'm waiting to see the pictures Jackie took of the dolphins/porpoises. (The above picture of the sailboat sails are about all I was able to get before my camera shut itself off). The dolphins were pretty close by, though, and frolicked around the catamaran a little bit before continuing on their way. It's always fun to see them up close.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

Wow! I like the Sahara picture.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Staci said...

Those are great pictures! It makes me want to take an ocean vacation. Though maybe with less wind :).

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->