The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Lightning, Thunder, and Tornados, Oh My!

I heard a tornado siren for the first time in my life this evening. That was entertaining. I wasn't sure what it was at first! I quickly figured it out. All in all I think I stayed pretty calm. But I did spend a quality 45 minutes in the bathtub (the only interior window-less space I have) with my cell phone and laptop, waiting to be blown away. I had the TV turned up loud and kept cracking the bathroom door so I could hear what the weatherpeople were saying. I don't the tornado actually touched down in town, but I know there was some property damage on the other side of town.

I'm not loving springtime in the midwest.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

At least you had your cellphone and laptop. You have to have priorities, even in an emergency.

3:46 PM  
Blogger jackie said...

holy crap that's scary!!! i will be glad when you are done with illinois.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

My thesis is on my laptop. Therefore, it does not leave my side.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Staci said...

Too funny! As someone who grew up around tornado sirens, we never bothered going to a our basements or wherever till we'd gone outside to check and actually seen a tornado in the sky. But better safe than sorry!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Tornado sirens are pretty scary but I second Staci's comments that you get used to them. I grew up in SD and hung out in the basement many times with pillows and mattresses close by. Now when it's windy here in Colorado (which is a lot!) I freak out thinking a tornado is coming.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->