The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sundried Tomatoes

It was the sundried tomatoes that did it. I blame them. That's what finally pushed me over the edge. I had a pretty lousy day, but I managed to keep it together for the most part. By dinnertime I realized that there wasn't actually any food in the house. So I got my recipe together for a salad that I had seen on FoodTV over the weekend and headed to the only grocery store I have found so far. I got everything that I needed except the sundried tomatoes. The store literally has jars of pickled pigs feet available for purchase, but no sundried tomatoes. I don't understand it because sundried tomatoes are not uncommon; it's not a though I was looking for organic kefir. Yet according to the grocery person I asked (and my own thorough search), they don't carry them.

And so right there, in the canned fruits and vegetables aisle (and ostensibly over one missing salad ingredient), I had a little meltdown as quietly as I could. I couldn't possibly have been more embarrassed at that moment, but I also couldn't really do anything about it by that point. So if you ever hear an urban legend about the girl who started weeping over the lack of sundried tomatoes, it's quite possible that the storyteller is talking about me.

2 Comments:

Blogger jackie said...

yuck, man--i am so sorry. i have been in almost this exact position, and it's amazing how one little thing can just make you lose all the crap you have been holding together with a fine thread for days. hang in there--things will get better!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

That sucks. I once broke down in tears because there were only 2 kinds of apples in the grocery store.

Incidentally, I read your entire post pronouncing "sundried" as "sun-dreed," and I couldn't figure out what that meant. Then I realized what you really meant. Man I'm a moron. :D

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->