The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Friday, June 02, 2006

Oh Canada!

After one long day (11.5 hours) and one morning (5 hours) of driving, I finally arrived back home on Wednesday. It definitely feels good to be home. I really missed my apartment and being around people I know! Academically and professionally, my move across half the country was the right thing. Personally, it was more akin to torture. But I survived and returned home mostly undamaged. And that's what's important.

I found out when I returned home this week that my apartment complex has decided to raise their rents a non-trivial amount. So, I can no longer afford to live here after July. Which leaves me about a month to find a new apartment. It wouldn't be so bad to move (I've gotten good at it this year!), except that I have no job after November/December. And if I find a job, there's no guarantee that it will be anywhere near my current location. Hence, I cannot sign a 12-month lease unless I win the lottery and find myself swimming in extra money. So I'm trying to find an affordable 5-month lease on an apartment. *sigh* These kinds of abodes are not plentiful, let me tell you that.

This weekend I embark on the first of three trips I have this month. Two are work-related, one is vacation. The vacation I'm looking forward to, the others not so much. I'm headed to Canada for a few days starting Sunday, and I'm actually starting to get a little bit distressed about the whole "leaving the country" thing. I actually read the State Department Travel Page today to learn what I should do. This left me with a whole new list of things to worry about. For example, I have no idea if my medical insurance will cover me "abroad"! Nor have I registered with the American Consulate in Canada yet! I don't know what the local laws are regarding anything and it's possible that I may not be able to find proof of ownership for my laptop before I leave. (The last thing I want to do is have to pay some kind of duty on my computer in order to bring it back into the US or something). I feel completely unprepared for this kind of exotic travel. That, and the whole money exchange thing always gives me a headache. So wish me luck in my Canadian job-seeking endeavors next week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chill. I've gone to Europe, India, and Japan in the last two years, and have done precisely none of the things on your list. It's Canada, America's overly polite, almost-state. There's nothing to worry about.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Is Canada even really like leaving the country? I thought it was about the same as the U.S. Mexico just about is. You'll be okay. But it is funny to see Craig get his panties in a wad.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Nah, Canada is just like going to another state. I wouldn't worry about any of that checklist you wrote about. I did, however, get stopped at the border once and was asked if the officials could look in my trunk. My were they surprised when they only found a suitcase and not the piles of firearms they most surely suspected I had in there (don't I just *look* like a dangerous person?). LOL!

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->