The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Real Winner

I had a student email me this afternoon with questions about our exam tomorrow. He was deeply confused about three things: (1) The location of the exam, (2) The starting time of the exam, and most importantly (3) What my TA meant during the review session when he told the class that it would be a 50-minute exam. I assured my concerned student that the exam would be in our normal classroom, during the normal 50-minute class period just as I have been reminding the class everyday for the last week and a half. *sigh* I wonder if this student has ever actually attended my class. Ever.

I also have to deal with two students tomorrow whose last homework papers were nearly identical. I encourage my students to work together on the problems, but I was very clear that I expect them to write up their own homeworks. There's a difference between working together and turning in the exact same paragraph-long discussions, word for word. That should be a fun conversation.

A skirt update: my staples held yesterday, even through a tutoring session after work! So in a fashion pinch, remember: office supplies are your friend. The skirt retained its basic structural integrity during the removal process last night, though the zipper itself has seen better days. I'm going to have to figure out how to replace that. I'm kind of wishing I still had my Holly Hobby sewing machine, circa 1982.

Update: I actually found my old turquoise Holly Hobby sewing machine on eBay!! Wow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

Dude, I think you need to use that Blogger spam control thingie. Cousineddie and I talked about you yesterday! I had an incident involving my pants trying to fall off while I was using my crutches and we were unable to find a safety pin. We improvised with a binder clip and spoke lovingly of you and how proud you would be of us!

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->