The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Odds & Ends

Lots of little things have caught my attention in the last few days. Yesterday, as I walked to my office, I looked up and saw over a dozen big black birds circling my building. Only the building with my office, not any of the others nearby. They looked like vultures, though I suppose that's technically rather unlikely. I wondered, as I hauled my weekend worth of work up to my office early Monday morning, whether this was a sign from above regarding the future of my career. I seem to be oscillating wildly anymore on what I really want to do when I graduate. Presently, "become a hermit on a boat in Maine" is topping my list.

I'm so sad that Peter Jennings died. My parents always watched Peter, every single night when I grew up. World News Tonight was our dinner table entertainment. I attribute my insane adult addition to the news to Peter Jennings alone. What a great journalist he was. I spent my lunch today watching little video clips from the tributes different networks have put together. It's just sad.

During my websurfing recently I found the Starbucks locator page. It turns out that there are 29 Starbuckses within a 10 miles radius of my house. Geez Louise. They really are taking over the world! The Onion even did a little blurb a while back about how Starbucks was opening a new Starbucks in an existing Starbucks's bathroom. (Sorry, I can't find the link to the actual piece.)

I got a TA for my class, thank goodness. It's another graduate student in the department, of course, which is a little bit awkward for me. But he's actually sort of a friend of mine and we get along well, so I am hopeful that the weirdness will go away. At least now I have someone to help me grade.

My friend Pigs, a teacher, has written a lovely Ode to Summer. You should check it out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

Thanks, man. I'm thinking your birds are just birds, though. Perhaps you'll invite me on your boat in Maine? Maybe tomorrow when I'm supposed to go back to school?

5:00 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

You can't become a hermit in Maine, I live in Massachusetts, I'd so come visit you. :-)

11:31 AM  
Blogger jackie said...

you would so get bored in maine--there is NOWHERE to shop there. and where will you get martinis? hmmm? plus i come to massachusetts often enough that i would visit you, too--probably with the sam.

we have already comiserated on the jennings sadness, so there is no need for me to comment on that.

but god i love me some starbucks. sometimes in my morning trips to the bux, i wish there WAS an extra starbucks in the starbucks bathroom so the line would be shorter!!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

I like the word "oscillating."

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->