The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Sunday, December 05, 2004

A short list of annoyances

I've had a long, trying weekend and feel the need now to share a few of the things that have been irritating. These are in no particular order, for the record.

1. The handkerchief. Could anything be less sanitary? I mean, you've got a cold, your body is producing mast cells (or whatever) at an alarming rate, and your solution is to repeatedly blow the excess mucus into a piece of cloth that resides in your back pocket? I just don't get it. You wash your hands with anti-bacterial, anti-viral, scum-repellant soap 12 times an hour, but you keep virus and/or bacteria infected mucus in your pocket. Someone explain that please.

2. Bad grammer, as epitomized by "very unique." Now, I'm not one of those people who loves words. I don't write particularly well and I don't really care about words. In fact, if you ask me, I think we just have way too many. But I digress. I do get uptight about a few phrases that seem to be commonly used and are just plain wrong. This kind of thing just makes my ass twitch. If I may quote Jed Bartlett here, "Unique means one of a kind. Something can't be very unique." That's all that really needs to be said on this account.

2a. An addendum: while on the subject of English, can we all review the proper
pronunciation of the word 'nuclear'? It's not spelled nukuler, so don't say it that way.

3. Loss of cell phone signal when in full sight of cell phone tower. I just don't understand how I personally can see a cell phone tower when my actual cell phone (which, unlike me, one would think is actually trained to look for these towers) cannot.

4. People who can't drive in the snow but insist on going out on the road anyway, thereby getting in everyone else's way and causing general chaos in their wake.

Hmm.... well, that's all I can think of right now. What annoys the rest of you? :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

Okay, on the handkercheif, YEAH! Foul. But, snow? Really? It's snowed there? How cool! I'm one of the idiots who can't drive in it, but I know that and don't.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->