The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Mascara

In my old age I have developed an increasing affinity for makeup. As youth (and by youth, I mean in high school), I rarely wore makeup. Unlike 90% of the other mothers of teenage girls who were running after their daughters, baby wipes in hand, trying to wipe off the pounds of added color, my mother would actively encourage me to wear makeup. "You should put on some rouge, Meredith," she would say, "you look pale."

Now, though, I love it. I have a whole drawer full of makeup in my bathroom. I've got lipstick in every shade known to man, lip gloss, lip balm, bronzers, shimmers, cheek stain, creme blush, powder blush, and yes mother, even a rouge. But, I especially enjoy eye makeup. I don't have a lot of bright and glittery shades, nor do I do the dark, charcoal/heroine-chic look, but if you name a neutral-ish eye makeup color, I probably have 6+ shades of it. Having said all this you might think I wear all this mess everyday. I don't. Not by a long shot. But the one thing I cannot live without is mascara. I love it. And I am constantly on a hunt for the perfect tube. A flawless mascara must abide by the following rules:

(1) No flaking--I hate having little pieces of mascara flake off my lashes as though I had black eye dandruff.
(2) No smudging--I do not in any way want to resemble a racoon by the end of the day. (Also, see above comment disavowing the heroine-chic look for me).
(3) No clumping--I have few enough lashes as it is, I don't need them all to stick together and make it appear as though I have only 3 ginormous lashes
(4) It must be waterproof, and both separate & thicken my lashes (after all, isn't that the point?)

I have tried oodles of different brands, wands, and application techniques and it turns out conditions 1 & 2 above are the hardest to satisfy. (The smudging is especially a problem for me.) The ones that do the best job I have found so far are Benefit's BADgal Lash, Lorac Lashes, and Maybelline Great Lash (all in the blackest black available). Still, none have reached that status of the simply perfect mascara.

So let's take a little mascara poll here--does anyone have suggestions for new ones for me to try in my quest for eyelash perfection?

4 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

I like Maybelline Greatlash myself. It's apparently the number one most-used mascara by makeup artists, according to lots of trashy magazines. :D

10:06 AM  
Blogger Pigs said...

I ditto the Maybelline Great Lash. It's my favorite. I, of course, would never read scads of trashy magazines though.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Perhaps I'll give Great Lash another try! I use the one I have only occasionally, but perhaps a new tube would perk things up again. :)

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Best Mascara that I have used is Benefit's BadGal mascara. It does everything, it lengthens, and adds volume. It's awsome.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->