The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Thursday, January 06, 2005

I got skills

My talent for procrastination has been finely honed over the years. Yet I am still astounded on occasion by how long I can really wait to start and/or finish something important. For all the complaining I do about how silly my students are when they don't pay attention or do their work or expect me to give them extensions on assignments because they simply didn't do it in the first place, I have to say that I can procrastinate with them best of them. As I'm doing right now.

Why is it that my marketable skill set includes procrastination and wordiness, rather than a deep and thorough understanding of the physics related to the interstellar medium? That would be much more useful to me right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger jackie said...

this procrastination skill of which you speak--i share this skill. this is why your poor neglected calendar is packed up, addressed, ready to go, and sitting on my kitchen table. :( i am extremely sorry i have not yet mailed it to you, and swear to get it out in the priority mail on monday. along with the 4 other things that are waiting to be mailed. *sigh* i am a terrible friend.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

You are not a terrible friend! Do not speak such silly things again. I'm the one that left the damn calendar in your house to begin with (in another fit of procrastination in which I didn't get around to getting anything for poor Jeff until on my way to Raleigh--he was hard to shop for this year!) Thanks for mailing it to me, though. :)

8:29 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

It does seem like that should be a marketable skill somewhere in the working world. Perhaps the post office? Somewhere in government? Maybe the part that delivers the tax money raises to its employees? I find that having a blog nurtures my procrastination nicely.

7:47 AM  
Blogger jackie said...

this begs the question: who the fuck is this irish gamble person?

3:57 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Yeah, that's kind of hard to say.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->