The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Notes to Self

1) You are no longer young enough to go out drinking until 1 am on a school night (no matter how cute the guy is). You will hurt the next morning.

2) There really isn't all that much "fun" in dysfunctional.

3) Apparently, arrogance is not just an attitude, it's a way of life.

4) Sushi makes everything better. As does a martini. Or both.

5) Do not openly mock students caught plagiarizing (even when said students were repeatedly warned that you will be checking for plagiarism.) Mock said students privately, or at least away from the office.


And one of my new favorite quotes (by my friend Brian), which I believe epitomizes grad school better than anything else right now:

"In lieu of motivation, ambition, or drive I will accept caffeine."

3 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

Re: #1, No. You are not. Do not attempt this anymore, that time has passed.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Nothing wrong with a little fun now and then. If you think you're too old, then you'll start acting old.

ps--What happened when you openly mocked the student?

10:27 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Well, I managed to catch myself before too much specific mocking took place. My "office" is really a desk with a partial partition next to it in the room outside my advisor's office. It seemed inappropriate to start ranting about a student within earshot of faculty and other students. But I did have to stop myself from saying what I really thought in that moment, because I was highly ticked off. I will not be one of those professor students love because they are so understanding and forgiving. I clearly don't have it in me.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->