The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Sugar Free Oreo Cookies

I should mention up front that I was going to call this post "Sugar Free Oreoes", but I couldn't figure out how to spell the plural of Oreo. Is it Oreoes? Oreos? Hard to say. So I went with cookies.

I was at Target this afternoon buying shampoo and household cleaning supplies, when I turned around and came face to face with the cookie aisle. This happens to be on the other side of the household cleaners aisle which seems strange to me. But I wasn't left with much time to ponder this unlikely juxtaposition because my eye was caught by a bizarre sight: a box of sugar free Oreo cookies. What, may I ask, is in a sugar free Oreo? I thought that creamy goodness in the middle of the Oreo was pure sugar (and probably some lard which I choose to ignore). I mean, wasn't that the whole point of the Oreo Big Stuff of the 1990s fame--a cookie 5 times the normal Oreo size with 3/4 of an inch of filling? So what has replaced the sugar in the Oreo filling? (Technically, I know the answer because I looked at the label: name your sugar alcohol, and it's in there. Hence the requisite "excessive consumption may have a laxative effect" warning). I just think the whole idea is preposterous. If you are going to eat an Oreo, just eat a damn Oreo. This whole sugar free cookie/cake/candy/snack food fad is just going over the top.

In other news, fall is over. We get about two weeks of fall here. One day, the leaves start to change. The next day, half a tree is no longer green. A week later all the leaves are on the ground. Days following that, the first snow arrives. We're supposed to have 12 inches of snow here by tomorrow afternoon, though I am hoping for less. I don't have the time or the patience this week for the traffic mess that will bring. But I thought I should tell you, winter has begun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

What?! Are you serious?? Winter? That's horrible. Do you want to come visit me? I never get company. We could shop and drink margaritas. And stand outside where it doesn't ever snow...
And I think it's Oreos. When I was teaching plurals, there was some rule about not changing or adding to brand names. I think.

6:49 PM  
Blogger jackie said...

glad i made it out there for the two days of fall--it was gorgeous!

sugar-free oreos are an abomination, by the way. just say no.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->