The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Exam #2

I just finished grading the second exam in my class. I thought this second test was considerably easier than the first. In fact, I was worried on the day of the exam that it might be too easy and would mess up my whole test-dropping strategy at the end of the semester. (I'm dropping one of the three test grades in an effort not to have to give make up tests all semester). But my worry was in vain. The average came out to be one point higher than on the first test. *sigh* So I'm kind of disappointed again. Both averages have been at least 5 points lower than what I was aiming for in writing the exams. I am going to curve the grades at the end of the semester, of course, so the actual numerical score doesn't matter all that much as long as I have a good distribution of scores. But still. I have to wonder if my instruction is, in general, poor or if they are not studying or if the test is just not good or if it's a combination of everything. So I continue to worry.

And darn if writing good exams isn't a hell of a lot harder than I ever thought it would be!! I have all kinds of new respect for some of my former professors who managed to consistently write very good exams all semester long. It's a skill that I have no idea whether or not I possess. And so far, it seems to be a skill no one can teach. They just tell me that I will "learn how to do it as I go".

2 Comments:

Blogger jackie said...

sorry test #2 wasn't great either. BUT--your scores really are not all that horrible. tom and i were talking about this, and he declared your first exam scores to be "just what he would have aimed for." he did teach a long time, so maybe that counts for something. you are a great teacher, dude--don't let anyone tell you differently. :)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Well, tell Tom I said thanks. :)

I cannot believe I have to type the secret word to post on my own blog!!

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->