The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Just Popping In

I'm in California for the next couple of days at another pseudo-job interview. It's not technically a job interview, but I've been invited to come give a seminar and people know I'm graduating this academic year and frankly everything right now is a job talk. So here I am. There are actually two people here I'd really love to work with, so I am reading up on them this morning. I obviously cannot sleep this morning.

You might think that I purposefully sought out the sketchiest hotel in the area, but no! It's just an added bonus after the trip I had getting out here. I hate to speak ill of an entire state based on only a few isolated experiences, but I will still do it: California does NOT do a good job with their road signs. It seems that signs reading "Left to Highway X" really mean "Left several blocks up at that street marked with a sign pointing toward the military hanger and then go around the corner to the light and take a right toward the entrance to the highway". I missed my highway twice just trying to leave the airport. Sometimes I think perhaps I don't have the smarts to really get a Ph.D.

3 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

Not that this is an entire consolation but Massachusetts doesn't beleive in street signs at all. Because well ya know who besides people who have lived here THEIR WHOLE LIVES would come here. WHAT WAS I THINKING! ;-)

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We also have the problem out here of lanes just ending. No signs, no "Please Merge Left," no arrows, just your lane ceasing to be.

You get used to it, after the California brain-rot sets in.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Sounds dangerous. I'd cause an accident.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->