The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Friday, December 09, 2005

Moving?

It turns out that writing a thesis sans thesis advisor is harder than one might have thought. With my advisor gone long-term (no one expects him back before I graduate anymore), I'm exploring my options of how to handle this. One of my collaborators (or my advisors collaborators, depending on how you look at it) has graciously offered to host me at his university if I want to come there for next semester. So I am debating the prospect of moving.

Logistically, it's a total nightmare. Breaking my lease, figuring out how my student health insurance would work several states away, packing, finding a new place to live in a state where I know two people.... it's a total nightmare. But academically, this is probably the best thing for me. I would be with a group of people who do similar research to my own and this collaborator is one of the most brilliant people I've ever met. He earned two Ph.Ds, simultaneously. I'm just trying to work myself up to the point where I can really comprehend moving a third of the way across the country for a few months to finish my thesis before moving to goodness knows where a few months after that to start a postdoc. (That's dependent on actually getting a postdoc, of course.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

So....where would you be? :o)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

The midwest. *sigh*

4:18 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Which state, which state?

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->