The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Friday, November 18, 2005

When it Rains

Why is it that when things start to go badly, everything starts crumbling at once? In the last week (1) I have found out that my advisor is not doing well (he's going into his third week in the ICU, but luckily is starting to be conscious again) (2) my mother had a minor yet sudden surgical procedure (3) my car died and is in need of $1500 in repairs so that I can drive again without the danger of spontaneous combustion (4) my first thesis committee was a disaster, thanks to an uninvited faculty member who took it upon himself to join the meeting after overhearing someone mention it and proceeded to rip apart everything I presented. It's hard even to know where to start.

Suffice it to say that I'm counting down the hours until this week is over. Hopefully next week can't be any worse. (Of course now that I've said it, I've completely jinxed myself and everyone I know. Sorry about that.) And I now have only 7 more lectures left in my class, thank the heavens. It's been a good experience and I am glad I did it, but I could certainly use the extra time next semester when I don't have to worry about class. Especially now that I will be finishing my Ph.D. more or less sans-thesis advisor.

On the bright side, I am taking the evening off. I haven't done that in quite a while. I'm going to see Harry Potter. I cannot remember the last time I saw a movie in the theater. Plus, I am headed to see my family for Thanksgiving next Wednesday. It will be the first time we've been all together (and that I have seen my parents) since last Christmas. Granted, we're all staying in my sister's tiny apartment, so there is the distinct possibility that not all of us will survive the weekend still on speaking terms. But so far, things look promising.

2 Comments:

Blogger jackie said...

you definitely win the Shitty Week Award ® for this week, my friend. i have my fingers crossed for you having a better week next week, your advisor getting better, and your family surviving the holiday together. good vibes comin' your way...

3:52 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Ugh! Hang in there. Sounds rough. Hope your mom is doing okay.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->