The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Sweat Heart

My last day of class is tomorrow. Wow--this semester has flown by!! I'm not going to even bother pretending that I'm not counting the hours until I am done with my class (13.5, in case you're curious). This semester has not been the worst on record; I actually developed both a persistent, prolonged eye twitch and a stutter a few years back during the semester I was studying for my first qualifying exam. (The stutter was highly entertaining to me!) But, between teaching completely on my own for the first time and then having my thesis advisor become more or less incapacitated it's not been stress-free few months. So I'm very much looking forward to ~10:51 am tomorrow.

But I just had to share a couple of tidbits from some of the papers I recently finished grading. Let me preface this by saying that my class is highly populated with humanities majors, not scientists, and I bet about half the class are upperclassmen. Some selected quotations:

"... married his collage sweat heart"
(It was hard not to write a snarky art class-related comment about this one.)

"aw inspiring feet"

And my personal favorite, a passing mention of Penthouse magazine. In a research paper. On cosmology. I kid you not. I couldn't even figure out what to say about that one.

These students are soon to be college (or collage, depending on how you see it) graduates.

The good news about my teaching experience is that most of my harshest comments about the semester are of the form "I will not do it this way next time" rather than the fast clip-clop sound of my high heels on the cement, fleeing from a career in academia. So that's a plus. The whole point of this experience for me was to figure out if I liked teaching enough to actually want to try to find a faculty job at some point. I most certainly do not want to give up on research, but I'm no longer dead set on finding a non-teaching job.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

Wow! You've got some real doozies in your papers there. I'm laughing over here just thinking about it. Yay for the end of the semester!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Wow! You've got some real doozies in your papers there. I'm laughing over here just thinking about it. Yay for the end of the semester!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Sorry about the multiple comments! Darn that blogger! Oops.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Pigs said...

I like sweat heart best. I get that a lot in fourth grade when they write stories about their mom calling, "Sweaty! Wake up!" Hee hee. I guess it's actually THERE mom though, not their. Sigh.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

There's a lot of lemons in these here blog comments. I thought maybe I was supposed to make another comment to fit in?

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->