The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

How much Buffy is too much Buffy?

My friends Jeff and Carrie got me hooked on watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I kid you not. In the matter of about a month I have raced through nearly the entire first two seasons. This weekend alone I watched 7 episodes. In one sitting. This seems unhealthy. (As does my unreasonable crush on David Boreanaz, but that's another story entirely. Am I too old for a crush on a TV star? Does he still count as a star? Whatever. He's hot.)

I'm not going to pretend this is a great piece of small screen cinema. It's not. But it is entertaining. And I enjoy mocking people's hair from the late 90's. That's nothing but good quality fun. Plus it's not deep at all so I can watch it without thinking. Maybe that's not a perk for everyone, but it is for me.

In other news, today my advisor asked me the question I have been simultaneously dreading yet hoping to hear for well over a year now. "When do you plan to graduate?" I'm officially on board for May 2006. Thank heavens. Strangely, he and I have never really discussed my thesis. Apparently, he thinks it's pretty much up to me to outline what I think belongs in it and, you know, to write it. I had been thinking that he and I would go over my plan together and make sure I wasn't doing something stupid or missing something huge. Other advisors have told students what each chapter in their thesis will be for heavens sake! They hand their students a thesis on a silver platter; all the student has to do is actually do it. But whatever. Apparently it's all good and he trusts me. Scary thought.

Oh, and another friend of mine that's graduating this year got a rockin' cool post-doc. He's headed to Cal Tech. And since I assume no one outside of astronomy knows what Cal Tech means within astronomy, let's just say that you can pretty much write your ticket to a faculty job nearly anywhere if you have Cal Tech on your CV. (Grad school at Cal Tech is better, but a post doc will certainly suffice). So way to go Greg, this is what I say. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

My advisor was pretty much the same way. I had to be motivated and do it myself. Occasionally I had to ask him for a meeting for some feedback. My motivational issues are probably why it took me 4 freakin' years to finish the dissertation (and 3 to do the master's)!

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what drove me out of the History Grad program- an advisor whose lackadasical attitude just didn't cut it for me. Made me question my purpose there. The bastard. Hang tough- you'll make it! Be stronger than I was!!!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->