The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's been a while

I know I haven't posted much recently. It seems I don't really have much of interest to say! I have kept rather busy at work. I am in the last few months of graduate school and finally all of those little details that I have been putting off until later have to be done. Apparently, it's now officially "later".

I just returned from an astronomy conference; there were 3100 people there. That's a lot of astronomers. I presented my dissertation talk during one of the sessions. I think the talk went well, although I had another minor shoe mishap. This time, instead of stepping in a hole, my shoe just slipped off my foot as I walked up to the stage. I don't think much of anyone noticed, though I about burst out laughing. Thankfully my back was still to the audience.

I think I have the details of my move pretty well worked out. I found a tiny furnished apartment, so I am headed out there in a month to spend three months with my collaborator. Hopefully, I'll have the bulk of my thesis done by the end of that time. I can come back here for about 6 weeks, defend my thesis, and then move to wherever it is I can find a job.

I recently got my evaluations back from my class last semester. There were several "I loved this class" and there were two "This is the worst class I have ever taken and I will never take another astronomy class because of you". There wasn't any overarching theme behind the criticisms so I guess that's a good thing. Everyone had a different complaint. I know I cannot please everyone and people tell me I should have a thicker skin, but I can't help thinking that I could have done a better job and more people might have been happier.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

What do you want to bet that those two bad ones correlate directly to the grade they earned in your class? Try not to take it personally. Weren't there a lot of people in that class?
I'm thinking that perhaps you need to wear shoes with straps when you present things. Or slippers.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I would LOVE to wear slippers for my next major presentation!!!! That would be awesome.

12:34 PM  
Blogger jackie said...

choose to love the ppl who loved your class and dismiss the haters and ppl with low grades and big grudges who are probably those guys who talked the whole time anyway. and yay for that class being OVER. and yay for finding a place to stay in IL, even though you don't want to go at all. and yay for finishing and defending and all that. and when you move to england, i will come visit you there.

btw, i vote bunny slippers or those ones with a pouf of feathers on the front. you may as well make a statment!

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep in mind, you could have also taught worse and made people happier, as undergraduate enjoyment doesn't always correlate with teaching prowess. I doubt you've got anything to worry about.

Oh, and footwear-wise, I vote for ski boots.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->