The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Monday, April 25, 2005

Blast from the Past

For reasons that still defy explanation, I pulled out my old high school yearbooks tonight. Yikes! I knew I was a geek back then (I say that as though I'm not pretty well geeked-out here in astrophysics grad school), I just didn't realize how super geeky I was. It was bad.

Among the enlightening comments my peers left for me, they said that I was "great to have in a group for class projects", "really nice", and "sweet". My Humanities teacher, Mr. Meyer, claimed that he enjoyed having me in his class, even when I went through my "grumpy phase". (Um, yeah. I have no idea what he was talking about). According to Beth (and other people I took chemistry with) I also had serious problems lighting matches in chemistry class. Who knew? Blake apologized for pulling my hair during English and somebody named Mike said he thought I had more potential than people gave me credit for. And if anyone remembers the Charlie Decker story, I think I'd appreciate it if they reminded me of it; it seemed rather important in my junior year.

And my high school crushes? I had forgotten about most of those guys, but apparently I took them rather seriously at the time. Gracious. How embarrassing.

Anyway, it was an interesting trip down memory lane. I am sure now I will feel no need to repeat the process for another 5-10 years. Plus, I at least can take comfort in the fact that I have come a long, long way since then. If nothing else, I can light a match now! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

Yeah, but did you ever secretly take a hair that fell out of a boy's head that you liked in high school and save it in an envelope? Not that I know anyone who did that. Whistle.

7:16 AM  
Blogger jackie said...

heh--i did this a few years ago (again, god knows why), and came across the following comment from my senior year that i had somehow never seen before: "congratulations on you-know-who; i always thought he was the hottest/sexiest guy in school!" and i am like--um--who? i STILL do not have any idea to whom this refers. did i somehow miss dating an entire person i don't remember??? the mind boggles...

1:13 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Okay, I just had to go look up what you wrote in my yearbook and it's officially confirmed: we were both big geeks. Your entry in my yearbook reviews a sleepover we "pulled off" without parents knowing (probably the worst thing we did in high school), a Monopoly game we apparently never finished, nearly identical English essays (I'm suspecting you wrote them), diving, and yams. Quite the medley. And apparently, I helped some guy named Davidson pass Spanish? Hmmm...

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->