The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Digitus Minimus

I got a voicemail message from my mom the other day. It sounded like this:

"Meredith? This is your mother. I need to talk to you." (very serious tone)

Pause.

"Your brother is having surgery on Thursday."

Dramatic pause by my Mother. Dramatic thoughts of kidney transplants, bone marrow transplants, and/or brain tumors by Meredith.

"On his finger."

Huh?

"Give me a call when you get home."

Clearly, I call home at this point. David (aforementioned brother) broke his finger a few weeks ago playing football in P.E. My father, being a dentist, took David to his office and x-rayed the suspect finger. He saw a break in the pinky bone on the x-ray and wrapped David's finger all good and tight between a couple of tongue depressors and said it would heal.

And heal it did. In the wrong orientation. An orientation which prevented full mobility of said digit, including the ability to completely bend. David says that the doctor told him that the particular location and type of break in the bone would have required it to be re-broken and set with a pin or two, regardless of what my parents had done about it. (Like, say, if they had taken him to the doctor when the break happened). But still. You have got to imagine that my parents are feeling pretty badly about it now.

David and his digitus minimus survived the surgery just fine, by the way. And the doctor says that the finger bends now and everything! It's all bandaged up, though, and David is a little bummed that he can't drive for a while. But all involved will survive.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

OK, your mom's message has me giggling over here at work. Any students nearby probably think I'm crazy.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Poor kid. (I still think he's 7, by the way) He'll be able to bring up that story for life though!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I still think he's about 5! (Though he would not appreciate me saying that). He will always be the little kid that used to sit on my bed and read Berenstein Bears book while I did my homework in high school.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->