The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Friday, March 25, 2005

Understanding the Bang

I got my hair cut yesterday. My hair is now pretty short, for me at least. I have pretty much always had long hair. The shortest it ever was was when I did the Jennifer Aniston 'do, around 1995. The "Friends" bob, if you will. Even then it was down to my shoulders. Anyway, I had 5 inches cut off last night, so now it falls about down to my shoulder blades. It feels incredibly light, which I love!

What I'm not so sure I love is the bangs. I had long-ish bangs cut as well. I haven't had bangs since the era of the infamous "mall bangs", approximately 1988. These are obviously very different; there's not nearly as much product involved for one! But I'm not quite sure what to do with these yet. There is hair in my face! The other bizarre thing is that my hair is naturally pretty wavy/curly. I learned this afternoon that very short hair around my face has a tendency to curl up like a bad perm when not properly handled. I didn't anticipate that. So no airdrying the hair for me, that is lesson 1! Lesson 2 is: do not use a straightening iron. Like I told my friend Jackie this afternoon, that caused me to end up looking like Lucy Camden, circa 1996. Not at all what I was going for.

Suffice it to say that it took me a solid hour this afternoon to get my new bangs in a place where I would actually leave the house with them. It's going to be a learning experience I guess.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

I too have had issues with having/not having bangs. I haven't had them since college, when I painstakingly grew them out, but now I'm thinking I may get them again to cover up my massive forehead. But I don't like the feeling of hair in my face. Ah, the conundrum.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Pigs said...

Yeah, but then it seems like as soon as you cut them you want to start growing them out again and that's more of a pain than having hair in your face. Post a picture. Let's see this new do.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->