The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I'm a Knitter

I promised Jackie pictures of some of my knitting projects eons ago. Especially since I have picked out most of the yarn and patterns with her! And I even posted about it not long ago. So here they are.

This newborn cardigan & hat set are a gift destined to be given as soon as I get my act together. The baby was born a few days ago, so hopefully I'll get it completely done tonight. All I have left to do is to block the sweater so it loses some of its lumpiness (and a possible slight asymmetry). But look at those buttons! I sewed them on all by myself!! (Jackie did sew up the sides for me last time I was there visiting; it kept looking funny every time I did it).




I also made the same cardigan a couple of sizes larger and (obviously) in a different color for another baby. This still needs its buttons sewn on and to be blocked as well. This taupe cardigan is going to be part of a gift set with a little chocolate brown baby bolero. A newborn shrug, if you will.


Obviously the shrug isn't nearly done. All of the lavender yarn is just temporarily holding stitches; the whole thing will be brown when I'm done. I have one arm sewn on (a herculean feat for me!) and am very proud of the fact that I didn't call Jackie once for cross-country hand holding on that part! It took a lot of concentration, though, and I am not afraid to admit that I had some harsh words for the yarn when it kept knotting itself as I sewed. When it's all done, along the bottom & front edges there will be a ribbing pattern similar to what you may (or may not) be able to see on the end of the sleeves. I also love that in the back of the bolero is a little eyelet pattern. If I recall what the pattern says correctly, it's a Celtic symbol (?) meant to bring good luck & health to the wearer. At any rate, the baby destined for the bolero is going to be one fashionable kid. How many newborns have a trendy little shrug to wear to their first social engagements? :)

I'm also working on my first real toddler-sized sweater. The cardigans are pretty easy to make but this sweater intimidated me at first. I'm pleasantly surprised with how it's turning out!



It still needs arms, obviously. And the green yarn is just holding the arm-intended stitches. I actually need to go buy new needles to make those; I thought I had the right size, but I don't. I'm hoping that it will be done soon. This project actually has no intended recipient, though. I think the purple yarn makes it look pretty girly (though the unintended gathering on the arm stitch holders right now may be skewing my opinion), so I'll probably just give it to whomever is the right size at the right time of year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pigs said...

WOW! Now at least we know why you haven't been blogging!

7:47 PM  
Blogger jackie said...

yay! look at all your progress! i wish i had been knitting as much as you have been lately. i will never finish the baby blanket i am making for the recipient of your brown and taupe sweaters. *sigh*

when can you come back again? hmmm?

8:02 AM  
Blogger Tara the Foodie said...

I love the cardigan and hat set - very cute. I wanted to tell you that I LOVE the name of your blog! My favorite movie (and I don't care who knows it) is Pretty Woman. I must watch it at least once a year. It's just that movie that makes you laugh, cry and feel great at the end - just like a good chick flick should. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Anyway, hello! Stop by sometime! I see you like E Online - we'll get along fine. :-)

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->