The Pressure of a Name

This is my opportunity to babble and vent a little bit about things that interest, amuse, and/or annoy me.

Name:
Location: United States

I just finished my Ph.D. Now what do I do?

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Eight Things

Jackie tagged me for this meme. Quite awhile ago. Apparently, I'm supposed to tell you eight interesting things about myself. As long as we're all willing to play fast and loose with the definition of interesting, I'm game. :) Here we go:

(1) I despise the summer. If I could choose my own weather, it would never get above 70 degrees in the summer and would be blustery and cold and snow a lot during the winter. But the snow would never cause driving problems, because that only annoys me.

(2) The only exception to the above rule is the week that I'm at the beach each year. That week, it should be incessantly sunny and very hot. Hot enough that I have to spend a large portion of the day actually in the ocean just to ward off a heatstroke.

(3) I worked very hard for nearly a decade to obtain my PhD. And most of the time, I really love my field of research. But sometimes I wonder if I could go back to the beginning, knowing what I know now, whether I'd give up my career to instead have a family with 2.5 kids, a house, a Volvo, a dog, and a white picket fence. (You know, a family in the 50's, more or less). Sometimes I think I would. I feel like I inadvertently, or perhaps unconsciously, made a choice somewhere along the way not to have both a career and a family. And that makes me sad.

(4) I find that my tolerance for bullshit, arrogance, pretentiousness, and condescension has decreased dramatically as I've gotten older. I simply don't deal with with any variation of rude.

(5) My best friend threw me a 30th birthday party last year. It was the first time I'd really celebrated my birthday in 15 years.

(6) I'm completely creeped out by birds. Nearly terrified of them, even. I can usually hide my fear if I have to, but given the choice, I'd avoid contact with all avian life on a permanent basis.

(7) I had a southern accent up into high school. I don't remember exactly when I got rid of it, but I remember it being a very conscious decision.

(8) I cannot stand cilantro. It tastes like soap. I hear that this is a genetic thing, but all I care about is that it stays out of my food.

At this point, I should tag some people to do their own meme and this thing will continue to be passed along like the paper chain letters of yore. But I figure that if anyone who reads this wants to do their own, they'll just do it. I don't need to tag you. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

I'm with you on the birds. But no warm weather? That's just crazy talk.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Pigs said...

If it makes you feel any better, I have no memory of you having a southern accent. Ever. :o)

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->